Wool Technical Officer, Melbourne VIC
As a Wool Technical Officer, your primary function in this ‘hands on’ role will be to provide technical support to the Southern Wool team based in the Brooklyn wool selling centre. While previous wool technical experience is preferred, for the less experienced candidate there will be a strong focus on training, with a view to developing the skills required to become a successful Wool Technical Officer. The successful applicant will be highly motivated, with strong communication skills and a sound knowledge of agriculture in Australia. This is an outstanding opportunity for a talented individual, with a rural affinity, that is serious about a genuine career in the wool industry.
AWN is a privately-owned Australian business, founded in 1999. We are committed to delivering agricultural services across wool, livestock and property.
Our vision of bringing wool growers, processors and consumers together has seen us build relationships across the supply chain, allowing us to deliver unique ‘bale to retail’ opportunities for our wool growing clients. This includes supply through our own, vertically integrated Australian manufacturing and retail businesses.
With people at the heart of everything we do, we invest in our staff so they can deliver the exceptional level of service that has become synonymous with AWN. Our people-first culture is underpinned by our C.A.R.E.S. values:
Collaborate and share information to achieve a common goal;
Agile and adaptive to opportunities and change;
Respect one another;
Embrace innovation and new ideas;
Support staff in looking after their physical and mental wellness.
- Contribute as a member of the Southern Sale team, including booking the auction catalogue, learning to auctioneer, negotiating passed-in lots, and assisting with private sales.
- AWEX ID appraisals
- Completing valuations for weekly Melbourne sales and ad hoc appraisals as required
- Provide key administrative support for forward marketing products and specialty marketing programs
- Work closely with the company data analyst to provide meaningful reports to support key business decisions and drive market insights
- Build relationships with key stakeholders
- Support other wool division initiatives and projects as required
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- A strong work ethic with an attention to detail
- Previous experience in the wool industry preferred but not essential
- Wool classing certificate preferred but not essential
- Sound knowledge of agricultural practices in Australia
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously or as part of a team
- Strong mathematical skills with an analytical approach
- Sound computer skills, including well-developed skills across the Microsoft Office suite
Additional training will be provided to the successful candidate to develop the appropriate skills for the role.
For further information contact VIC State Manager, Kelvin Shelley on 0427 055 622.
Apply for the role via Seek.